Sunday 25 May 2014

OVERCOMING CHALLENGES WITH FAITH AND HUMOUR


I decided to write this blog because if one person gains inspiration from reading it then my efforts will have been worthwhile.  According to data published by Cancer Research UK on their web site, 49,936 women and 349 men in the UK were diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in 2011.  Despite these figures, I never thought it would happen to me.  Here is my story with a little humour thrown in.

It was late August 2012 with the encouragement of my friend, I went to my GP after having discovered a lump on my right breast.  I had discovered the lump which was the size of a 2 penny piece about two months earlier but I had been so caught up in my day to day life; juggling motherhood with a busy and demanding job, dealing with the break up of my relationship with my son’s father and trying to come to terms with the fact that I was now a single parent. In the February of the same year I had left my job to set up my recruitment business working from home.  I felt overwhelmed and under tremendous stress, so I pushed the lump to the back of my mind and hoped it would go away. 
My GP made an appointment for me to see a Consultant at the local hospital. After a mammogram (not as entertaining as the video) and a series of tests. He diagnosed invasive breast cancer of the right breast.  He informed me that I should have a mastectomy as soon as possible.   The news came as a bombshell.

I was paralysed by fear, not so much for myself but for my son. I couldn’t bear the thought that I might not see him grow up. His father and grandparents lived overseas and didn’t have much contact with him. I was also worried how I would pay my mortgage and meet my other financial commitments given I did not have a job. Fortunately, I had a spare bedroom which I advertised for a lodger on the Internet. I applied to various charities including MacMillan Cancer Support and Marie Curie Cancer Care for help and my sister was very generous in giving me money on a regular basis.
I decided that the only thing I could do was to leave it to God. After being given the news, I went straight to the hospital chapel where I broke down sobbing.  I prayed that  God would give me the strength and courage to overcome the biggest challenge of my life and heal me of breast cancer.  I told myself I was very lucky that I had been diagnosed after having undergone IVF treatment which resulted in the birth of my son two years previously. Had I been diagnosed before the IVF treatment, and being almost 50 years of age,  I would not have had my son.  All I kept thinking is 'God is Good' and if I have faith and stay positive everything will be alright.  

I sought a second opinion from another Consultant, his diagnosis was exactly the same as the first Consultant’s.  He felt it was important to have the breast removed as soon as possible followed by chemotherapy. I was still struggling to come to terms with the thought of losing my breast. I wanted yet another opinion so through the tenacity and determination of a friend,  we went to see a Consultant in Rome whose treatment for cancer was rather alternative and unconventional. I decided that the treatment he was offering wasn’t for me.  We returned to London resigned that I would go ahead with the mastectomy,  but before I could have the operation which was scheduled for September, there was something I felt I had to do.
Shrine Of Our Lady Of Fatima

Years ago, I had visited the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima in Portugal. Whilst there I made a promise to Our Lady that if she blessed me with a child I would bring that child to Her Shrine.  So, that is exactly what I did, accompanied by two friends, my son and I went to Fatima.  When we returned, I was mentally prepared to have my surgery.
The operation was a success. I felt totally relieved, and confident that God was  blessing me with strength and courage and as a result I would be fine. My family and friends were amazing! They all rallied round and supported and encouraged me. We tried very hard to minimise the impact all of this was having on my son.  It would appear that he was aware that something was going on because when  I came home after my operation he said to me, ‘mummy breast gone’! I couldn’t believe my ears.

After the mastectomy, I underwent chemotherapy.  Thanks to the skill of the surgeon and his team  they managed to remove the breast and some of the infected lymph nodes.  I was due to have 5 rounds of chemotherapy but after the first round I received a call from the hospital informing me of my low white blood count. I was advised to avoid crowded places for fear that I might catch an infection as my ability to fight any infection was greatly reduced as a result of the chemotherapy.  I thought to myself, if my immune system was so badly affected after just one round of chemotherapy, how would I cope with 4 more rounds? With that question going through my mind,  I decided not to continue with the chemotherapy but to focus on alternative treatments and therapies.  

It is true what they say, 'every cloud has a silver lining' because sixteen months after the mastectomy, a right breast reconstruction and left breast augmentation (lift),  I now have the breasts of a 21 year old, compliment of the NHS. 
I feel 21 again!
The surgeon and her team did a marvellous job.  I am now healthy, in fact I have not felt this good in years! I have start a new business and I am looking forward to meeting my soulmate and seeing my son grow into a fine young man.

Maybe he has a little to learn
My son and I have both benefited and have been greatly enriched from this experience.  We have had people from all over the world staying with us, all of whom have contributed something to our lives. As a result my son is growning into a very tolerant, respectful, happy and confident boy.    


My Soulmate?

When I was diagnosed, I prayed to God that He would heal me so that I could resume my life.  Well, God has done much much more than that.  He has healed me and blessed me with a new life.  One where I spend more time  with my family and friends and helping others.  In helping me overcome this challenge He has made me realise that the really important things in life are not the things money can buy.

 It has been an amazing journey. I am very grateful for the experience and I Thank God that He has brought me through it.  I had the support of some  amazing and wonderful people; from my friends and family who were always there for me to the guests who stayed at my home, whose support went beyond the financial, to the hospital staff, through to the volunteers who visited me in my home and helped me with my son.  I bless you all and thank you for your love and support!!


1 comment: